Headaches are extremely common for everyone. Chances are, you’ve probably been there before. A headache might be the result of a number of things – from dehydration to getting sick to being overworked. Whilst over-the-counter pain relief can be very effective at relieving headache pain, it’s not ideal if you regularly have a headache, as you don’t want to have to rely on medication to keep the pain at bay.
What are the reasons for having a headache?
Headaches can be really painful and disabling if they become severe. With some mild, non-serious headaches, you might not even need to see a doctor or doctor’s assistant. However, more severe cases may require medical attention.
Headaches are one of the most common complaints in the United States. It is estimated that 80 million Americans had at least one headache every year in 2019, while nearly 60% reported having headaches more than once during the same day.
The 4 most common types of headaches are tension headaches (10%), migraine (6%), cluster headaches (2%), and primary headache syndromes (1%).
How to Relieve Headaches Naturally With These 6 Tips
It is important that you understand what a headache is and what causes them. This is because there are a number of things that can trigger a headache, and there are a range of treatments that can help with them. Some recommended tips to try when a headache appears include:
– Apply heat or cold to the head and / or neck.
– Try applying pressure on the area where your headache is located.
– Aromatherapy oils such as peppermint oil or lavender oil can help.
– Get some exercise before heading home from work or school for the day.
– Avoid alcohol and caffeine, as they can both exacerbate headaches.
– Take a cold shower. A cold shower will help relieve the tension and stress and take away the headache pain. The cold water will also help you wake up your senses and get your focus back.
Many people suffer from headaches and the quest to find a cure for these debilitating pain sensations is ongoing. There are various ways to relieve a headache without taking painkillers, but what works for one person won’t work for another, so it’s always good to experiment with natural headache relieving tips, until you find what works for you when your next headache strikes.